Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Creamy Caramels

I made these for Christmas this year, and it is the best caramel recipe I've tried yet, so I'm putting it here for safe keeping.  Taste of Home cookbook, 1996 is the source.

Creamy Caramels
1 c. sugar
1 c. dark corn syrup
1 c. butter or margarine
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Line an 8 inch square pan with foil and butter the foil. Set aside. In a saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and butter, and bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Stop stirring and boil slowly for 4 min. Remove from heat and stir in milk.  Reduce heat to medium low, and cook until candy thermometer reaches 234 degrees, (soft ball stage), stirring constantly.  Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.  Pour into prepared pan and cool. Remove from pan, cut into 1 inch squares and wrap in waxed paper. Yield 64 pieces.

Notes: My single complaint about this recipe is that my foil stuck to my caramels, so I may try parchment paper next time.  You will need to adjust your candy thermometer to your altitude.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!