Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Sausage and Sauerkraut Casserole

You know that I am always doubling recipes, right?  Well, this one, I cut in half.  Because I LOVE it! But no one else at my house does, and my husband will eat it with me for variety's sake once in a while. Cabbage love is a lonely place.  (I think we've discussed this before...) But if you are a cabbage lover, I would not want to deprive you of this scrumptious recipe.  This is quick to make, and filling with a crusty slice of bread.

Sausage and Sauerkraut Casserole
6 fully cooked, smoked sausage links such as German or Polish
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. caraway seeds
1/2 tsp. dried dill weed
1 jar (32 oz.) sauerkraut, rinsed, well-drained
1/3 c. diced green pepper
1/2 c. shredded Swiss cheese
Slice each sausage link into four or five chunks. Place sausage in a large skillet with 1/3 c. water.  Cover; bring to a boil over medium heat.  Reduce heat to low; simmer covered 10 min. Uncover and simmer until water evaporates and sausages brown slightly.
While sausage is cooking, combine sugar, mustard, caraway and dill, sauerkraut and pepper in a microwave safe casserole dish.  Stir and microwave 2-3 min. until hot and sugar dissolves.  Sprinkle cheese over sauerkraut and top with sausage.  Mircrowave 4-5 min. or until cheese melts.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!