Saturday, February 11, 2012

Brown Sugar Cutout Cookies


This is the first recipe I have tried from my new cookbook: Sweet Gratitude by Judith Sutton.  They are so yummy!  Plan time for chilling, as the dough is soft and cannot be worked immediately.  I chilled mine in a roll and sliced them, but you can cut out shapes and frost them for holidays too.  I don't think they need frosting, but I'm sure no one would object.

Brown Sugar Cutout Cookies
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
1 c. packed dark brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

In a bowl, beat butter and brown sugar 2-3 min. or until fluffy.  Beat in the egg, then the vanilla.  On low speed, beat in the 1 c. flour, baking powder and salt.  Then when that is incorporated, beat in the 2nd cup of flour.  Divide the dough into fourths, flatten each quarter of the dough into a disk, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.  Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness and cut with cookie cutters.  Place on ungreased baking sheets and bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

Slice and Bake method: Divide dough in 1/2, roll each half into an 8 inch long log.  Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze until firm (about an hour).  Using a sharp knife, cut logs into scant 1/4 inch thick slices and arrange on ungreased baking sheets, bake as directed.

Notes: The dough is very soft, you may have to chill it to divide it.  You can also freeze the dough, but thaw in the fridge before slicing.

Jenny


2 comments:

Natalie said...

Hmmm....I am a MAJOR fan of brown sugar muffins....I might have to try these. I am not really into the whole...start the dough, freeze the dough, then finally hours later cook the dough. If I am taking time to make the dough I am looking for a quick reward! :)So - you could come visit and bring me some. :) GOOD IDEA!

Leslie McAllister said...

These are the most amazingly delicious cookies ever!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!