Friday, August 5, 2011

Red Velvet Upside-Down Cake

This recipe is the result of extensive tweaking of another recipe--like most are.  It was a hit at our last family get-together.  It is rich and nutty and I think would be fun to use on "red" holidays, like Valentine's Day and Christmas.  It is easy too!

Red Velvet Upside-Down Cake
1 red velvet cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare mix
1/2 c. chocolate chips
1 c. chopped nuts
3/4 c. butter or margarine, softened
8 oz. softened cream cheese
1 lb. powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line the bottom of a 9x13 with parchment paper. (You can just spray it with cooking spray, but it comes out of the pan more consistently with the paper.)  Sprinkle the chocolate chips and nuts in the bottom of the pan, spreading them evenly.  Mix cake mix according to package directions and pour over nuts and chips.  Using a mixer, combine butter and cream cheese, until smooth.  Mix in powdered sugar, a little at a time.  Pour this evenly over the cake batter.  Bake for 40-50 min.  Cool about 10 min. in pan, then turn cake out onto a platter and gently peel off the paper.  Cool.  Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a side of vanilla ice cream.

Jenny

1 comment:

AO said...

AHHH! I have bought a couple of red velvet cake mixes....I'm TOTALLY making this sometime soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!