Saturday, January 22, 2011

Crockpot Carrot Pudding

One of the things that has been fun about this blog is to see when I have a theme going.  I've known for a long time that this happens to me.  My thoughts will link one thing to another and I realize they are related at some point in the future when I look back.  But here, I can see the pattern emerge more clearly and early.  The theme this winter has been old fashioned desserts.  First the Gingerbread, which was a spur of the moment, "mmm, this sounds good right now" thing.  Then came Bread Pudding for Christmas.  Now in memory of the lemon sauce from the gingerbread, I think of Carrot Pudding.  My mother used to make it once in awhile when I was growing up, and I've always liked it.  This recipe is a compilation of two recipes and my mother's memory of my great grandma's recipe.  I like the crockpot part, where it takes only minutes to assemble and makes its own sauce at the bottom.  We still topped it with Lemon Sauce, which was wonderful, I ate it warmed for breakfast the next morning with a splash of cold milk.  YUM. That is all.

Crockpot Carrot Pudding
1 1/2 c. grated carrots
3/4 c. potato, peeled, grated (rinse under cool, running water to wash away the starch)
1 large baking apple, peeled, grated
1 tsp. lemon juice
Toss this together and add:
1 c. Flour
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1/2 c. raisins
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. each cloves and nutmeg
3/4 tsp. salt
1 slice white bread, crumbed
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. melted shortening
Stir together. Set aside.
Spray the crockpot with cooking spray and combine in the bottom of the pot 3/4 c. boiling water and 1/2 c. sugar.  Stir to dissolve sugar.  Spoon pudding mix over the top, cover and cook on high for 2 hours.


Jenny

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Jenny I love all of your recipes. I especially love this Crockpot Carrot Pudding. It reminds me so much of my mother. She made a Carrot pudding my whole family would fight over. But after she died I could never find the recipe. So this really makes me happy. I love your Blog and all of your "down home recipes". Keep up the good work.
Kathy Torgerson Stohl.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!