Thursday, October 14, 2010

Bottled Peach Pie Filling

Last year I wanted to bottle peach pie filling and found this recipe.  It is yummy!  I like the fact that it uses no thickening agent in the bottle, it seemed to stay nicer looking than other pie fillings I have made, easy too.  We have used this over the last year for pies, over ice cream and as cobbler and crisp fillings. Fresh out of the canner this year to be enjoyed again!


Peach Pie Filling
6 lbs. fresh peaches
1 c. + 2 Tbsp. bottled lemon juice
3 3/4 c. water
5 c. sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. almond extract
fruit fresh or ascorbic acid

Loosen the peach skins by dropping gently into boiling water for 45 seconds, then submerge in cold water.  Peel off skins, pit and slice peaches into water that contains ascorbic acid until all peaches are sliced.  Combine lemon juice, water, sugar and spices in a large saucepan.  Stir and cook until mixture boils.  Drain peaches and add to the syrup.  Cook for 3 min.  Ladle into hot, quart sized canning jars.  Release air bubbles, clean rims and adjust two piece lids.  Process in boiling water bath canner for 30 min. Yield 7 quarts.

To use filling: Empty contents of jar into a saucepan and stir in one tablespoon cornstarch, heat, stirring occasionally until filling is thick.  Use in your favorite pie crust or cobbler.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!