Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Coconut Fish Curry

This recipe is from one of my kitchen mentors, Alison Holst.  She is a household word in New Zealand, and her cookbooks are wonderful if you can get your hands on one.  The flavor of this is reminiscent of the Bangkok noodles at Noodles and Co.  I really like it, and I think it would be great with leftover chicken or some shrimp substituted for the fish as well.

Coconut Fish Curry
2 Tbsp. butter
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. curry powder
1 (14 oz.) can coconut cream
1 1/2 lb. fish fillets
1/4 tsp. salt

Melt butter in a large pan and cook garlic and onion over low heat, covered, until tender, but not browned.  Stir in the curry powder, cook for 1 min. longer, then add coconut cream.  Cook, uncovered, for 5-10 min. until the sauce thickens.  Cut fish into pieces 4 inches by 1 1/2 inches.  Turn pieces in sauce, then pack in pan in one layer and simmer 5 - 10 min, until center of fish is opaque and fish will flake fairly easily.  Add salt to taste.  Serve over noodles or rice.

Notes:  This is a new and improved photo.  I changed my method, adding a couple of cups of chopped veggies (carrots and celery--but you could add what you like) to the sauce while simmering.  I stirred the noodles into the sauce, and I stir-fried the fish separately in a bit of garlic and butter, serving it in a pile on top of the noodles.  Yum!

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!